The North Durham Family Health Team (NDFHT) is a team of health care professionals collaborating with the physicians of Medical Associates of Port Perry to deliver expanded medical services to Port Perry and our surrounding community.
Medical Associates of Port Perry and the North Durham Family Health Team are home to a diverse group of family physicians, general surgeons, general internists, and independent health professionals. We are located at 462 Paxton Street, Port Perry, directly across from the local hospital, Lakeridge Health Port Perry.
What is a Family Health Team?
A Family Health Team is an approach to primary health care that brings together different health care providers to co-ordinate the highest possible quality of care for you – the patient.
Designed to improve and expand access to primary care, most Family Health Teams consist of doctors, nurses, nurse practitioners, social workers, dietitians and other health care professionals who work collaboratively, each utilizing their experience and skills so that you receive the very best care, when you need it, as close to home as possible.
What will Family Health Teams mean to me?
Family Health Teams are patient centred and provide access to a number of primary health care services from a variety of team members.
- You will have access to other health care professionals within that Family Health Team, such as nurse practitioners, nurses, dietitians and pharmacists.
- You will have access to a Family Health Team doctor during extended evening and weekend hours for urgent problems.
- If you see another doctor in your Family Health Team for treatment, your own doctor will receive documentation about the nature of your problem so that he or she will always be up-to-date about your medical condition.
- If you need assistance after-hours, you will be able to telephone the Family Health Team Telephone Health Advisory Service where a registered nurse will provide advice about your urgent health care concerns.
- With your permission, your doctor will receive a written summary of your call the next day, so that your doctor is informed of the nature of the problem and the advice you received.
- Family Health Teams are able to take advantage of specially funded information technology to organize your health information and share it securely with other health professionals.
- Family Health Teams are organized to offer you timely access to high quality primary care. Research shows that this access results in you being healthier, longer.
- Family Health Teams offer a variety of interprofessional programs in chronic disease management, disease prevention and health promotion.
About Our Building
We are located at 462 Paxton Street, Port Perry, Ontario in The North Durham Health Centre. The building recently went through an extensive addition and renovation and is now a 62,000 square foot facility.
The original building was built in 1968, by Medical Associates founders, Drs. William Cohoon and Robert Allin. The original single storey building is presently occupied by Physiotherapy Associates of Port Perry. The building has experienced four additions occurring in 1977, 1988, 2000, and most recently in 2011-2013. Medical Associates of Port Perry and North Durham Family Health Team are home to a diverse group of family physicians, general surgeons, a cardiologist, social workers, nurse practitioners, chiropodists, pharmacists, registered dietitians, and nurses.
In addition, the North Durham Health Centre is home to a comprehensive physiotherapy practice, an optometrist, an audiology practice, a full service dental practice, a state of the art diagnostic imaging centre, a laboratory/bleeding station, and a retail pharmacy, all of whom are dedicated to providing quality health care for our community and surrounding area.
The North Durham Family Health Team utilizes an Electronic Medical Records (EMR) system, which provides for electronic charts and schedules. The clinic has high speed internet access and recently added wireless throughout the building for public use. At the time of the addition our phone system was upgraded and incorporates the latest technology.
We recognize that when a patient visits the North Durham Family Health Team it should be about more than just the visit with their health care provider. The patient experience from the moment you arrive to the moment you leave is important to us and it is our commitment to make that experience as positive and pleasant as possible.